Agentless Devices Not Checking-In (Good Heartbeat)
Agentless Inventory Status Messages (6) [01/08/2018 09:51:43] Agentless inventory started.
[01/08/2018 09:51:43] Connecting to system.
[01/08/2018 09:51:44] Collecting inventory data.
[01/08/2018 09:51:44] Closing connection to system.
[01/08/2018 09:51:44] Submitting inventory to K1000.
[01/08/2018 09:51:47] Agentless inventory completed with success.
This all started after I updated the bios on the appliance to 2.7.0, which now seems to have been pulled from dell's website. This was done because of the spectre/meltdown vulnerability. I had not been updating the kace appliances when I did the rest of them, but this time went ahead and did them as well.
EDIT: Resolution 2/23/2018 (adding comments below is not working)
After I posted this update, things reversed and agentless devices started checking in, but agent items stopped checking in. Worked with support and they eventually made a patch (k1_patch_8_0_20180205.bin) that fixed things. It took 4 weeks, with spotty communication, but they eventually fixed it. It's not the time so much, but the lack of communication. I had to stay on them for updates and made to feel like I was being a nuisance. In the past I've had good experiences with Quest support. This time not so much. And I see the date on the patch, which is even crazier. They had the fix for over two weeks and took them that long to get back to me.