Systems Management Question

Anyone else having patching issues on 8.x?

08/16/2018 897 views
LM Detection takes forever, upt o 45min for me, to detect 1 patch and deploy it. Most of the time I will get error (upload log failed) message too but it appears as if the patches install on the client. I found  a similar article here too: https://www.itninja.com/question/patching-issues-after-upgrading-to-8-0

I've tried all troubleshooting steps below:
- Verified AV exclusions
- reinstalled agent
- cleared out programdata/quest/kace directory
- rebooted KACE appliance
0 Comments   [ + ] Show comments


All Answers

I was having a lot of issues and support found that i was effected by a known bug that they had to manually apply an unreleased hotfix to correct.
One symptom that was the obvious sign that i was effected by this bug was many of my services would be stopped.
If you go to Settings -> Support -> Run diagnostic Utilities -> services (from drop down)
If all services don't say "OK" and some say FAILED, then it might be the same issue as me. It has been much smoother since the hotfox
Answered 08/20/2018 by: dwestness
Senior White Belt

Don't be a Stranger!

Sign up today to participate, stay informed, earn points and establish a reputation for yourself!

Sign up! or login


This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site and/or clicking the "Accept" button you are providing consent Quest Software and its affiliates do NOT sell the Personal Data you provide to us either when you register on our websites or when you do business with us. For more information about our Privacy Policy and our data protection efforts, please visit GDPR-HQ