You can slipstream update 7.0.5...
(credit to xxsplit on MSFN Forums)
1. Create your Admin Install:
Create a Folder named Acro7 in the C: drive of your virtual machine. Insert your CD, Open a cmd prompt in your CD dir and use the following code...
When asked to choose a destination folder use your newly created Acro7 folder.
2. Patch your Admin Install with the latest Adobe Acrobat 7.0.5 Professional Update
- Grab the latest patch from here:
- Extract the content of the 7.0.5 Update into a folder you will name "705upd" and place in your C: drive on your virtual machine...
- Open a cmd prompt and use the folowing code...
"msiexec /p [patch location]\[patch name.msp] /a [acrobat location]\[acrobat.msi] /qb!"
example: "msiexec /p C:\705upd\Ac705StVP_efgj.msp /a C:\acro7\AcroStan.msi /qb!"
3. Create the *.MST Transform... If you haven't intalled your "InstallShield Tuner 7.0 for Adobe Acrobat" on your virtual machine it's about the right time to do so...
! - When prompted for the required *.itw file (which has disapeared with the admin Install) use the one in your original CD source "AcroPro.itw" and then open the "AcroPro.msi" that is in your "AcroPro" folder (NOT the Original one).... By default your *.mst file will be created in your "AcroPro" Folder and named "AcroPro.mst".
! - When you're done with *MST settings don't forget to save before exiting .
Good luck! Use GP to deploy with the MST and you're good to go.
NOTE: I used the open volume license for corporations for my deployment, which doesn't require activation. I think the min license purchase is 5.
1. Copy the "Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Standard" folder from the CD onto your local machine, put it in a working directory.
2. Download "ISTuner7_AdobeAcrobat.exe" from Adobe.com and install it. This is Adobe's custom Tuner, it uses Installshield's technology. (I like installing it on a virtual machine)
3. Run "InstallShield Tuner 7.0 for Adobe Acrobat", and point it to the ITW file in the directory you copied from the CD.
4. Make the changes you need, add your license, and save. I also disabled the self-updater and "Display PDF in Browser" as both have caused problems in the past.
When you try to update to version 7.0.5 you may receive the error: "The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program"
This is because there are 2 installation types. Retail and the Volume License.
A small checkup to see which version you have: http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/332143.html
To install Acrobat Standard 7.0 and patch it up to patch 7.0.8, I used the InstallShield Tuner 7.0 for Adobe Acrobat to create a transform. Then I applied the patches using the command msiexec.exe /p <patch file>. Use REBOOT=R to suppress reboots. I didn't check if it forces a reboot if you don't use that command property.
The patch files (MSP), are inside executables, so I just ran the executable and let the patch fail (because Standard was not installed), and copied the MSP file from the temp folder to where it was extracted: C:\Documents and Settings\<account>\Local Settings\Temp\<temp folder with random name>.
*** Create a MST for Acrobat Standard 7.x.
See Also: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/deployment.html
--- Create the Admin Install Running: '"[CD]\Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Standard\SETUP.exe" /a' ---
--- v7.0x: Upgrade the Admin Install running the MSP files found in http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/deployment.html#patches ---
*** Upgrade Note: As far as I know you sometimes need to rebuild your transforms file afther a upgrade, especially when you applyed your language as described here. ***
1) Make a backup copy of the original AcroStan.msi file as example I use: 'AcroStan_ORCA.msi'.
2) To apply your language (other than Dansk) run the executable MsiTran.exe.
Note: This file comes with the Microsoft Platform SDK.
MsiTran.exe -a "[CD]\Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Standard\[YourLanguage].mst" "[PathTo]/AcroStan_ORCA.msi"
3) Open AcroStan_ORCA.msi in Orca, you can change (you can use 1/0 instead of YES/NO):
You can change the following propertys (you can use 1/0 instead of YES/NO):
* In the Table row (left screen) click on the 'Property' table.
ALL_USERS_DESKTOP = (YES/NO) Place icon on All Users Desktop.
DEFAULT_VERB = (Read/Open) = Use READER or WRITER to open a PDF.
DISABLE_SPEEDLAUNCH = (YES/NO) Add SpeedLaunch icon in the Startup folder, you have to create this property (Default=NO).
ENABLE_CACHE_FILES = (YES/NO) Copy the CD contents to your local harddisk. Also set DISABLE_CACHE (Default=YES). = "Cache for optional installation files (recommended) requires an additional 300MB of available hard-disk space".
EULA_ACCEPT = (YES/NO) Accept EULA by default.
ISX_SERIALNUM = No need to change this one, use ISX_SERIALNUMBER instead (Default=0).
ISX_SERIALNUMBER = Your serial number, you have to create this property!
DISABLE_CACHE = (YES/NO) Copy the CD contents to your local harddisk. Also set ENABLE_CACHE_FILES, you have to create this property (Default=NO). = "Cache for optional installation files (recommended) requires an additional 300MB of available hard-disk space".
SOURCELIST = List of additional installation locations, separated and ended by ;
4) Create the FINAL Transforms file (MST): "AcroStan.mst"
MsiTran.exe -g "[PathTo]/AcroStan.msi" "[PathTo]/AcroStan_ORCA.msi" "[PathTo]/AcroStan.mst"
5) Now you can apply the transform on the command line as follows:
MsiExec.exe /i AcroStan.msi TRANSFORMS="AcroStan.mst" /qb!
Or it can be applied through the modification tab in the Group Policy using Active Directory.
*** Notes ***
Most propertys discussed can be given in the commandline, like:
MsiExec.exe /i ....msi OPTION=...
Orca.exe is a FREE database table editor for creating and editing Windows Installer packages and merge modules.
MsiTran.exe is a FREE tool to generate or apply a transform file.
MsiTran.exe will be installed in: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\Bin".
ORCA and MsiTran Notes:
- ORCA and MsiTran come with the Microsoft Platform SDK.
See: http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate / http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/msi/setup/platform_sdk_components_for_windows_installer_developers.asp
- Orca.msi, MsiTran.exe and others will be installed in: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\Bin".
- Instead of the the executable MsiTran.exe you could use the new 'Gen.vbs' ~ Create this vbs as described in the Platform SDK help file ~. But, as far as I tried it, it didn't work!
If you are running Windows at higher than default security settings, you may receive the following error when trying to print to the PDFMaker printer from various applications: "The Document Failed to Print"
Try granting Users Full Control of the "HKLM\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Distiller" key.
By continuing to use this site and/or clicking the "Accept" button you are providing consent
Quest Software and its affiliates do NOT sell the Personal Data you provide to us either when you register on our
websites or when you do business with us. For more information about our
efforts, please visit