Email responses to KACE Service Desk Email not adding to existing ticket

I'm trying to use emails to generate tickets, but I'm hitting a couple of issues.

First, when I try to reply to an existing ticket email from the support email I am expecting this email to be added as a comment to the existing ticket.  But the email is instead creating a new ticket.

Second, I'm trying to set certain values, primarily priority and category, using email variables (@category=<value-name>) as shown in the Admin manual, page 734.  I include these variables on separate lines at the top of my email, but when I do no changes are made to the tickets I create or the tickets I try to update.  I've made sure that the fields I want to edit are set to "User Modify" for the queue I'm working in, but it hasn't helped.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2 Comments   [ + ] Show comments
  • 1- the Subject of the email is probably being modified somehow, or loosing the TICK String , the SMA will create a new ticket.

    Make sure the Subject is like:

    RE: [TICK:XXX] Issue

    TICK can be located in any place within the Subject.

    2- Strange, make sure there are no spaces, Could be a new setting in the new version causing that, check with Support. - Channeler 4 years ago
    • You're right for the first part, it looks like most of our tickets are dropping the "TICK" string from the subject, so the automatically generated reply subject doesn't contain it. Thanks! - tjethington 4 years ago
  • Regarding your second question:
    Are your emails in plain text? I have found that HTML emails don't work well for updating fields. - chucksteel 4 years ago
    • That was it! I guess there must have been an issue with hitting HTML tags or something else at the beginning of the email and not passing those to get to the email variables. Thanks! - tjethington 4 years ago
      • Great. I see that Channeler's comment answered your first question. Please mark your question as answered and include a summary. - chucksteel 4 years ago

Answers (1)

Answer Summary:
Posted by: tjethington 4 years ago
White Belt

Top Answer

1. Some of my KACE generated emails were losing the "TICK" string that was in the subject line of the email.  A response to these emails generated a new ticket.  Checking the subject line fixed that.

2. After formatting my emails as plain text I was able to set the variables from the email.

Don't be a Stranger!

Sign up today to participate, stay informed, earn points and establish a reputation for yourself!

Sign up! or login


This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site and/or clicking the "Accept" button you are providing consent Quest Software and its affiliates do NOT sell the Personal Data you provide to us either when you register on our websites or when you do business with us. For more information about our Privacy Policy and our data protection efforts, please visit GDPR-HQ