KACE1000 6.0 agents cannot push install
I upgraded to 6.0 yesterday and everything went well for the most part. Most user agents were upgraded to 6.0 when they checked in, but I have 10 that will not upgrade. I tried to push the new agent out to them, and while KACE successfully connects to the machine, the installer file is reported as not found. Reinstalling the agent onto the KACE also didn't fix the issue, nor did enabling/disabling the file share. I also noticed that the file share cannot be browsed from \\hostname\client, it simply returns a not found dialog. Trying to download the file from the URL below returns a file not found error within the KACE. Anyone know what is going one here?
STEP 2: AUTHENTICATION - SUCCESSFUL
Opening pipe to service
Sending login credentials
process (//kbox/client/agent_provisioning/windows_platform/agent_msi_provision.bat kbox client ampagent-6.0.1079-x86.msi kbox) could not be launched: 2 The system cannot find the file specified.
(authenticated, but CreateProcessAsUser failed)process (//kbox/client/agent_provisioning/windows_platform/agent_msi_provision.bat kbox client ampagent-6.0.1079-x86.msi kbox) could not be launched as LocalSystem: 2 The system cannot find the file specified.
Removing service (Exit code: 0)
We are also having the same problem. I've noted that in the Network Settings on the K1000 the DNS entries for DNS2 show the same entry as DNS1, and no matter how we try to change DNS2 to point to a different IP, after changing it the K1000 reboots and shows the same IP as DNS1. However, as many have noted, this doesn't appear to be a DNS issue.
We opened a Ticket with KACE. They told us a couple of things: They said that the client share isn't accessible (on Windows machines) via the HostName of the K1000, but only via the IP address on version 6. Also, they said that the if Windows UAC is enabled and turned on (regardless of where you have it set), that this could be a factor that would possibly block the agent provisioning/installation. We turned off UAC, but that didn't help.
I'm curious to know if anyone else has tried Timi's installation method above of creating a script to install the agent, and if that has worked for anyone. Timi: did it, in fact, work for you? I tried to manually run the agent installation batch file from a command prompt, and it didn't work. I was going to attempt a script next as you had done.
I created a script to address this issue in my environment. I copied the amp.conf file (located in c:\programdata\dell\kace) from a system that has the server name in it. You can provision the agent using the ip address of the server instead of the host name and that will get the agent out. I then created a script that had the amp.conf as a dependency. I've attached a screenshot of the steps that I did to create the script. Basically I am replacing the amp.conf file on the systems that had the ip address for the server in amp.conf with one that has the server name.
Same problem here. Contacted Kace support and they shuttled me off to Tier 2 support and said I should be getting a call back within 48 hours.
Are you able to browse the file share on the KBOX using the hostname? I found that I am no longer able to, though I believe that I could previously on 5.5, and I think that may be the cause of the issue...
I did discover that I can access it by using the IP address rather than the hostname. When I found that, I immediately thought it may be a DNS issue, but I checked and everything still appears to be correct on our DNS server, and we are able to access the web interface and ping the K1000 using the hostname just fine, but the share is just inaccessible.
If they find a solution for you, please be sure to share. I will do the same when our issue is resolved.
Try "K1000." or what ever you used as name (!!! with a trailing dot).
Do not change your DNS record, that one should be already correct.
Go to K1000 appliance after distributing the client software failed and open Settings\Provisioning\schedules and click on a the record with a client that failed. Change the content of "K1000 Server Name or IP Address" into the IP address or "K1000."
Choose action "Run Now" to distribute the client again and now the installation of the client should succeed.
Must be an issue on the K1000 appliance when trying to access a share using the DNS name.